Passport Applications

As of June 1, 2009, persons crossing national boarders by land and sea will need a passport book or passport card.


Passport forms can be obtained from the County Recorder's Office or the passport website. If you are printing the form from the website, forms must be two single pages. Do not sign the application, it must be signed in person when you are in the office to apply. Normal processing time is four to six weeks.

       ***Please note: The Ward County Recorder's Office cannot accept U.S. Passport Renewal Applications (Form DS-            82).These applications are required to be sent in by the applicant themselves.
Application Fees
Type of Passport, Age of Applicant
Book, 16 and Older
Book, Under 16
Card, 16 and Older
Card, Under 16
***Please note the Ward County Recorder's Office can only accept check, cash or money order for payment. No credit or debit cards can be accepted at this time.

Expedited Applications

Passport applications can be expedited for an additional charge of $60 with a processing time of mail time there, three business days in their office, and mail time back.

Express Mailing
Passport applications can be express mailed with the additional fees of $60 for expedition and $20.66 for express shipping. The processing time will be second-day mail time there, three business days in their office, and second-day return mail time.

Note: Expedited service can take two to three weeks for total processing time.

Application Requirements
One passport photo is required, which can be obtained at any photo shop, CVS, or the Minot Post Office.
  • Proof of citizenship
    • Certified copy of birth certificate or previous passport unless issued under the age of 16 years old
    • Previous U.S. passport
    • Certificate of naturalization
    • Certificate of citizenship
  • Photo identification
    • Government employee identification card, either federal, state, or municipal
    • A state-issued driver's license (not a temporary or learner's permit)
    • Aircraft pilot's license issued by the Department of Transportation or the FAA
    • Official military identification card
If under 16 both parents or legal guardians must accompany the child when applying. Both parents or legal guardians must sign the application for the child. If this is not possible, the single applying parent or legal guardian must show proof of sole custody or provide notarized consent of the second parent.