Building Services Supervisor
DEPARTMENT: Building Services SALARY GRADE: 22
POSITION TITLE: Building Services Supervisor STATUS: Exempt
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Ward County Commissioners STORM ESSENTIAL: Yes
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Yes
EMPLOYEE’S NAME: ___________________________________________________
EMPLOYEE’S SIGNATURE:____________________________ DATE :____________
SUPERVISOR’S SIGNATURE:__________________________ DATE:____________
1. GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION:
As specified in the Ward County Home Rule Charter “Non-elected department heads serve on appointment by and at the discretion of the Board of County Commissioners and are appointed solely on the basis of executive and administrative qualifications determined by the Board of County Commissioners. The county personnel policy shall detail the hiring and termination procedures for county employees as well as available benefits and other regulations relevant to employment with the county."
This position is responsible for the condition and operation of equipment in the Courthouse, Jail, County Library County North building and the grounds of these buildings, supervision and job performance of the janitorial staff, maintaining an inventory of cleaning and maintenance supplies, keeping records of maintenance operation and time sheets of employees, and performance of related services in support of the County’s various departments.
2. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (“.” Indicates essential function)
• Maintenance and repair of buildings and building machinery and systems including:
. Monitor the condition and operations of the Courthouse, Jail Building, County Library Building, and County North Building
. Perform routine and minor preventative maintenance and repairs on assigned buildings and building equipment and systems
. Perform seasonal servicing and preparations of building equipment and systems
. Contract for services to perform major maintenance of repairs to buildings and building equipment and systems. Monitor progress of contracted services. Review services upon completion, make final approval and approve billing for payment.
. Recommend for County Commissioners’ consideration projects to extend the life of County equipment, buildings, etc.
• Supervise Building Services staff:
. Schedule work hours and assignments of Building Services staff
. Direct and supervise the work of building Services workers and the use of jail prisoner labor
. Monitor performance of Building Services workers and cleanliness and condition of buildings
. Train Building Service workers on proper use of cleaning equipment and products and demonstrate new product use
• Maintain up-to-date records of maintenance, repairs, inventory and supplies, including:
. Maintain a record and schedule of building and building equipment and system maintenance and repairs
. Maintain an inventory of Building Services equipment and furnishing and surplus property
. Maintain generator and respond to Xcel Energy calls for controlling use of electricity
. Maintain a record of purchases and supplies on-hand
. Verify satisfactory receipt of all services and supplies related to building maintenance
. Maintain county equipment, tractor, mowers, pick-up, etc.
. Review and approve all bills, related to building maintenance and utilities
. Coordinate recycling for county buildings
• Provide building services and other services to County departments, including:
. Open and inspect the Courthouse each working day
. Pick-up County mail each working day and deliver to the point(s) of distribution
. Regularly inspect the Courthouse, Jail and Library buildings
. Maintain and care for the exteriors, grounds, and parking lots of the Courthouse, Jail, Library, and County North buildings
. Assist with snow removal and lawn mowing at above mentioned buildings
. Pick-up and deliver materials and supplies for County offices and as requested and as time permits
. Respond to problems from other department heads and employees to provide service to those departments
. Help County Auditor/Treasurer at election time with equipment and set-up
• Administrative responsibilities include:
. Sign on computer for messages daily
. Prepare annual budget for approval of Ward County Commissioners
. Prepare annual report for Ward County Commissioners
. Prepare and approve accuracy of payroll for staff
. Determine the products needed to clean and maintain buildings, equipment and maintain an inventory of supplies
. Organize and train employees on proper use of MSDS sheets
. Prepares written reports and oral reports of all accidents or near misses of accidents and responds to such reports with action or suggested actions to the Safety Coordinator
3. SUPERVISION RECEIVED/EXERCISED:
Supervises and schedules Building Services Lead Worker, all custodial staff, jail inmates performing custodial duties and interns and/or part time employees performing custodial and maintenance duties.
4. POSITION QUALIFICATIONS (KNOWEDLEGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES):
(“.” indicates essential function)
• Educational equivalent to two years of college or vocational/technical school with specific training applicable to the operation and maintenance of buildings and three years applicable experience including repairs and maintenance of electrical, plumbing, and mechanical systems and carpentry work
. Must possess a valid ND Drivers License and a clean driving record
• Thorough knowledge of building construction and electrical, plumbing, mechanical (HVAC) systems and grounds keeping including the application of such knowledge in the performance of routine and minor repairs
• Thorough knowledge of hand and power tools and snow removal equipment, diagnosing common system problems; successfully performing routine building maintenance work; reading and understanding operating manuals and installation instructions; the use of cleaning equipment; communicating problems and solutions with employees, contractors and suppliers and in working with others to resolve problems and return equipment to service
• Abilities to learn new methods and techniques, the use of new materials, and the operation of new equipment and apply them to the work done; to recognize the work to be done, initiate it, and complete it independently; to work cooperatively with others to understand and follow verbal and written instructions and keep good written records; and to read, understand and act on information and instructions on product labels and material safety data sheets
• Knowledge of supervision management
5. PHYSICAL and MENTAL DEMANDS: These support the essential functions of the position.
• Work performed requires considerable physical strength, flexibility, and agility and requires the employee in this position to be ‘on the move’ nearly the entire time at work.
• Employee must be able to grasp, hold, carry, bend, stoop, reach, kneel, stretch, squat, turn, push, pull and lift.
• Employees must be able to use and/or operate a wide variety of janitorial and maintenance tools and equipment. The weight of objects to be lifted and/or moved may be as much as 100 lbs. or more, but routinely are less than 50 lbs.
• Employee is required to use a wide variety of tools properly and use proper protective devices and supplies and observes proper safety procedures in performing the duties of the position.
• Working conditions are frequently in confined space, around noisy equipment.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The Building Services Supervisor works the hours necessary to complete the requirements of the position. Work is performed both indoors and outside in varied and possibly severe working conditions.
7. OTHER ASSIGNMENTS:
County Department Heads and supervisors reserve the right to amend the functions assigned this position, either temporarily or permanently, at anytime as they determine the best interest of their department. Further, employees may be assigned other or additional functions to fill-in during the absence of other employees or vacancies in other positions.
02/08 (Home Rule Charter Wording)
|Copyright © 2011 Ward County. All rights reserved.|