December 13, 2006 Special meeting minutes
A special meeting of the Ward County Commission was held at 10:00 a.m. at the Ward County Highway Department with Comms. Watne, Erickson, Lee, Fjeldahl and Gruenberg present. Also present were Auditor/Treasurer Devra Smestad, County Engineer Roger Kluck, Assistant County Engineer Dana Larsen, Dave Leftwich and Paul Benning – ND DOT, Bismarck and Paul Regan and Jim Redding – ND DOT, Minot.
Kluck explained that the purpose of the meeting was for the Board to meet with Leftwich on various federal aid topics.
Leftwich then gave an overview of the federal aid programs available to counties and reviewed how the federal aid is allocated to each county. Leftwich explained that there were four factors used when determining federal aid: population outside major cities; land area; miles of county federal aid routes, all of which make up 75% of the funds and the remaining 25% is based on the percentage of mill levy compared to the remainder of the state. Leftwich affirmed to the Board that by raising the Farm to Market levy to the maximum of 10 mills, Ward County receives approximately $100,000 more in federal aid each year.
Discussion on the Farm to Market program and federal highway money allocation was then held. Leftwich noted that he made a funding computation error which resulted in Ward County receiving extra funds in 2006, which were removed from the 2007 federal aid projection. Any perceived shortages in funds for 2007 were made up by lower than anticipated bids and by seeking funding from other sources for the 55th street bridge design.
Discussion was briefly held on the 55th street overpass project and projects undertaken by the City of Minot on the 27th street overpass and 16th street underpass.
Discussion then turned to future funding and what could be expected. Leftwich informed the Board to use the same figures for the next couple of years when budgeting projects and if any increases were allocated, they would be passed along to the county.
Comm. Gruenberg questioned the $20 million that the Governor spoke about releasing from the budget surplus. Leftwich informed the Board that it was for state projects only.
At 11:40 a.m. Comms. Gruenberg and Fjeldahl left the meeting.
At 11:42 a.m. Comms. Gruenberg and Fjeldahl returned to the meeting.
At 11:43 a.m. the meeting was adjourned.
ACCEPTED AND APPROVED THIS 19th DAY OF DECEMBER, 2006.
s/Darlene Watne, Chairman
Ward County Board of Commissioners
Ward County Auditor/Treasurer
|Copyright © 2011 Ward County. All rights reserved.|