Load Restrictions & Permits
Overweight & Oversized Loads
The LoadPass Permits system allows individuals and companies to purchase road permits for Ward County roads and The permits are separate and beyond any permits required by the state. A LoadPass Permit account is required to purchase permits and can be applied for at permits.loadpasspermits.com For questions about the permitting system, oversized permits, or fees, contact LoadPass directly at 701-566-5576. or for more information visit their website loadpasspermits.com.
Harvest and Winter 10% Permits
Both 10% Harvest and 10% Winter permits are available for county roads through LoadPass. If you plan to apply for a 10% Weight Exemption for either Harvest or Winter permits, please visit www.loadpasspermits.com and create your account login by following the online instructions. If you have questions during the setup process, please feel free to contact the staff at LoadPass Permits by calling 701.566.5576.
- Permits may be revoked when the holder violates or abuses any privilege or conditions of a permit and if gross weight of the vehicle exceeds permitted use by more than 2,000 lbs, the permit will be void.
- Permit is not valid on gravel roads after rain event which leave the road soft and hauling may cause rutting or other damage.
- Gross vehicle weight not to exceed 105,000 lbs on roads posted for 80,000 lbs or 40 tons.
- Gross vehicle weight not to exceed 105,500 lbs on by legal weight roads.
- Axle weight cannot exceed posted weight limits or posted bridge limits
- No travel on roads with posted weight limits year around.
- Permits are not valid on State, City or Township Roads
- The 10 percent extra weight cannot be used in conjunction with the equipment approval policy. The 10 percent can be issued above legal weights only.
Notice - 2023 Load Restrictions
Load Restrictions & Overload Permits
Please be advised that most of the roads in Ward County are 80,000-pound (40-ton) maximum load, with the exception of some roads that have been upgraded to 105,500-pound maximum loads. Ward County roads are posted with both 80,000-pound and 105,500-pound signs and are shown on the load map.
State road load restrictions are available here.
Overload permits are available for non-divisible loads, and the permits are found below. Please note that the Uniform Truck Permit available from the ND Association of Oil and Gas Producing Counties is only valid on non-restricted roads and must have a validation number. Any road that is posted as an 8-ton per axle or less or those shown as 80,000-pound (40-ton) maximum load restriction will need an over-sized permit from Ward County Highway Department.