Non-Service Connected Disability Pension

Disability Pension is a benefit paid to wartime veterans with limited income who are no longer able to work.

You may be eligible if you meet the following requirements:
  • You were discharged from service under other than dishonorable conditions
  • You served 90 days or more of active duty with at least 1 day during a war
  • You have disabilities that keep you from working full time, or are over the age 65
  • Your countable family income is below a yearly limit set by law
Family Income Limits
For Veterans with  more than one child, add $2198 to the maximum income for each additional child.
Maximum Income
Veteran with no dependents
Veteran with a spouse or a child
Housebound veteran with no dependents
Housebound veteran with one dependent
Veteran who needs aid and attendance and has no dependents
Veteran who needs aid and attendance and has one dependent

Note: Some income is not counted toward the yearly limit. For example, welfare benefits and Supplemental Security Income should not be included in your yearly limit.

The VA pays you the difference between your countable family income and the yearly income limit which describes your situation (see chart above). This difference is generally paid in 12, equal monthly payments rounded down to the nearest dollar. Call 800-827-1000 toll-free, or contact your County Veterans Service officer for details.

You can apply by filling out VA Form 21-527EZ, Veteran’s Application for Non-service Connected Disability Pension. If available, attach copies of current medical evidence (doctor and hospital reports).