Widow's Pension

Death Pension is a benefit paid to eligible dependents of deceased wartime veterans.

You may be eligible if you meet the following requirements:
  • The deceased veteran was discharged from service under other than dishonorable conditions
  • He / she served 90 days or more of active duty with at least 1 day during a war
  • You are the surviving spouse or unmarried child of the deceased veteran
  • Your countable family income is below a yearly limit set by law
Family Income Limits
For families with more than one child, add $2198 to the maximum income for each additional child.
Maximum Income
Surviving spouse with no dependent children
Surviving spouse with one dependent child
Housebound surviving spouse with no dependents
Housebound surviving spouse with one dependent
Surviving spouse who needs aid and attendance and has no dependents
Surviving spouse who needs aid and attendance and has one dependent
Surviving child with no eligible parent

The VA pays you the difference between your countable family income and the yearly income limit which describes your situation (see chart above). This difference is generally paid in 12, equal monthly payments rounded down to the nearest dollar. Call 800-827-1000 toll-free, or contact your County Veterans Service officer for details.

You can apply by filling out VA Form 21-534EZ,
 Application for Dependency and Indemnity Compensation or Death Pension by Surviving Spouse or Child. If available, attach copies of dependency records (marriage and children’s birth certificates).