State's Attorney

Mission Statement

The mission of the Ward County State’s Attorney’s Office is to achieve justice, public safety, and effective government by prosecuting criminals, providing legal advice to county boards and commissioners and representing Ward County.


The State’s Attorney’s Office is primarily a prosecuting agency representing the citizens of Ward County and the victim(s) of crimes. The office handles felony, misdemeanor, infraction, and traffic cases as well as juvenile court matters, and mental health hearings. The State’s Attorney is legal counselor for all county officials and is chief prosecuting officer of the county. The State’s Attorney is an elected official who stands for election every four years.


  • Prosecution of Criminals in District Court  
  • Coordinate Support Services for Victims or Witnesses of a crime
  • Juvenile Court Matters
  • Mental Health Commitments
There is no fee for any services of the State’s Attorney's Office. 

 Crime Investigations

If someone feels that he is the victim of a crime (as opposed to a civil matter) they should report it to law enforcement for investigation. If the crime occurred in city limits it should be reported to the Minot Police Department at 701-852-0111. If the crime occurred in Ward County it should be reported to the Ward County Sheriff’s Department at 701-857-6500.

After the investigation is complete, one of the attorneys in the State’s Attorney’s Office will review the matter and make a determination whether criminal charges will be filed and what the charges will be.   

Victim | Witnesses

The criminal process can be daunting and stressful.  The Coordinators provide support, referrals, an explanation of the court process and case status information.  They will accompany to court proceedings and gather restitution amounts for file. Victim's of a crime have certain rights protected by Marsy's Law in Article I Section 25 of the North Dakota Constitution. These rights must be asserted. For more information, visit Victim's Rights - Marsy's Law | Attorney General ( 

Mental Health / Civil Commitment

Please contact North Central Human Service Center at 701-857-8558.  If emergency, contact 911. 

Civil Matters

If your matter is of a civil nature, you will have to contact a private attorney, as the State's Attorney's Office is prohibited by law to advise on civil matters.   

Juvenile Court