North Dakota State Programs

The North Dakota Department of Veterans Affairs administers a number programs, including Grants and Loans.

Grants & Loans
The Hardship Assistance Grant Program is available to low income veterans or spouses for medical assistance for hearing aids, eyeglasses, and dental care. Grants may be awarded for up to $3,000 per year. To qualify, monthly income must be less than $1,200 for a single person and liquid assets must be less than $2,000.

The Veterans Aid Loan Program allows resident veterans to apply for a loan of up to $5000, payable over four years, with an 8% interest rate. If the recipient satisfies all conditions of loan repayment, one-half of the interest is returned upon receipt of the last payment.

To qualify, the person must be an eligible veteran or dependent, be a North Dakota resident for at least one year, and meet applicable eligibility criteria. See your County Veterans Service Officer to apply. Read more.

The State Veterans Home
The State Veterans Home is located at Lisbon, North Dakota. The home is open to most North Dakota resident veterans and/or their spouses. There are approximately 110 beds in the basic care unit and 40 beds in the skilled care unit. See your County Veterans Service Officer to apply. Read more.

The North Dakota Veterans Cemetery
The North Dakota Veterans Cemetery is located approximately six miles south of Mandan, North Dakota on a small knoll overlooking the Missouri River. Eligible Veterans, National Guardsmen, Reservists, and dependents are afforded burial rights in the cemetery. See your County Veterans Service Officer to apply. Read more.

Special License Plates

POW: A veteran, while serving in the U.S. Armed Forces was a prisoner of war and has received an honorable discharge from the U. S. Armed Forces, may be issued a special number license plate. On the death of the veteran, the surviving spouse may retain the numbered plate as an active plate.   

Veteran's Cemetery: Distinctive numbered plates may be issued to individuals eligible for internment in the North Dakota Veteran's Cemetery. The surcharge collected will be divided between the Veteran's Cemetery Trust Fund and the Veteran's  Cemetery Maintenance Fund.

DAV: Veterans who are 100% service-connected disabled may be issued a special plate for minimum cost.

National Guard: Distinctive numbered plates may be issued to members of the National Guard. The adjutant general shall certify those members of the National Guard eligible to receive the plates.

See your County Veterans Service Officer to apply.

Parks Admission
Disabled Veterans / POWs: ND veterans with a 100% service-related disability and former POWs are eligible for a free annual permit. All other North Dakota veterans with service-related disabilities are eligible to receive an annual permit for $20. This program is available to North Dakotal residents only, with Veterans Affairs proof of disability or status, or a North Dakota DAV / POW license plate.

For more information contact the North Dakota Parks and Recreation Department at 701-328-5357:
1600 E. Century Ave.
Suite 3
Bismarck, ND 58503-5357

Tuition Waiver
Any eligible dependent of a 100% service-connected veteran, upon being duly accepted for enrollment into any North Dakota state-supported institution of higher education or state-supported career and technical education school, must be allowed to obtain a bachelor's degree or certification of completion, for so long as the dependent is eligible, free of any tuition and fee charges. However, the bachelor's degree or certificate of completion is to be earned within a 45-month, or 10-semester period or its equivalent; and further provided that tuition and fee charges shall not include costs for aviation flight charges or expenses.

Contact the registrar's office of the educational institution you plan to attend.

Veteran's Bonus
The 2005 North Dakota Legislature passed legislation providing for payment of adjusted compensation (bonus) for certain domestic and foreign service. Some nonresidents may be eligible for the bonus. For information on the eligibility requirements and the application, please visit the North Dakota National Guard website.

Property Tax Exemption
The 2007 North Dakota State Legislature passed a bill allowing a property tax exemption for 50% and higher service connected disabled veterans on the first $120,000 of the home's valuation. To apply for the exemption, qualifying veterans can obtain an Application for Property Tax Exemption form from the office of the Ward County Tax Director located in the Ward County Courthouse or call 701-857-6430. For Minot city residents, contact the City of Minot Assessor's office at 701-857-4160. There is no means test, income, or asset criteria to apply for the exemption.