Burial Benefits


Fact 1.
U.S. Depart of Affairs (VA) benefits do not cover all the funeral or cremation arrangements of honorably discharged veterans.
There are certain monetary, recognition and service benefits that may be available. However, reimbursement for funeral or
     cremation service expenses is limited, and usually only applies to a veteran who:

  • Retire from the Armed Services, or
  • Were disabled due to a service-connected injury, or
  • Died in a VA hospital or while in a nursing home under VA contract.

Standard guidelines are provided as an overview, but only the VA can rule on our exact benefits.

Fact 2.
You will need documentation to verify military service

A "Report of Separation from the Armed Forces of the United States," also known as "discharge papers" is normally required to verify military service. In most cases, this report is the DD214. If your family does not have the form DD214 at the time of death, call your local Veterans Service office for help in obtaining the document.

Fact 3.
A veteran's family must request a United States flag.

A flag is provided at no cost to drape the casket or accompany the urn of a deceased veteran. Generally, the flag is given to the next of kin. Only one flag may be provided per veteran. Upon the request of the family, an "Application for the United States Flag for Burial Purposes" must be submitted along with a copy of the veteran's discharge paper. Most North Dakota funeral homes are able to help you with this process or you can contact your local Veterans Service office in your county.