Burial Benefits


Fact 1
U.S. Depart of Affairs (VA) benefits do not cover all the funeral or cremation arrangements of honorably discharged veterans.
There are certain monetary, recognition and service benefits that may be available. However, reimbursement for funeral or
     cremation service expenses is limited, and usually only applies to a veteran who:

  • Retire from the Armed Services, or
  • Were disabled due to a service-connected injury, or
  • Died in a VA hospital or while in a nursing home under VA contract.

Standard guidelines are provided as an overview, but only the VA can rule on our exact benefits.

Fact 2
You will need documentation to verify military service

A "Report of Separation from the Armed Forces of the United States," also known as "discharge papers" is normally required to verify military service. In most cases, this report is the DD214. If your family does not have the form DD214 at the time of death, call your local Veterans Service office for help in obtaining the document.

Fact 3
A veteran's family must request a United States flag.

A flag is provided at no cost to drape the casket or accompany the urn of a deceased veteran. Generally, the flag is given to the next of kin. Only one flag may be provided per veteran. Upon the request of the family, an "Application for the United States Flag for Burial Purposes" must be submitted along with a copy of the veteran's discharge paper. Most North Dakota funeral homes are able to help you with this process or you can contact your local Veterans Service office in your county.

Fact 4
Military Funeral Honors ceremonies must be scheduled in advance.

The law requires that every eligible veteran receive a military funeral honors ceremony, which includes the folding of the flag and presentation of the United States flag and the playing of "taps" upon the families request. The Department of Defense program calls for the funeral director to request military funeral honors on behalf of the veteran's family.

Fact 5
Veteran's caskets are not free.

As a standard policy, neither the VA nor the various branches of service provide a free casket for a deceased veteran, unless death occurs on active duty.

Fact 6
A Presidential Memorial Certificate must be requested.

Initiated in March 1962 by President John F. Kennedy, a "Presidential Memorial Certificate" is a gold embossed paper certificate inscribed with the veteran's name that bears the current President's signature, to honor the memory of honorably discharged, deceased veterans. A copy of the deceased veteran's military discharge document along with a copy of the death certificate must be provided when requesting this certificate.

Eligible recipients, or someone acting on their behalf, may request a copy in person at their county Veteran Service office.

Fact 7
If you choose not to be buried in a VA