Flood Insurance

No home is completely safe from potential flooding. When just one inch of water in a home can cost more than $25,000 in damage, flood insurance can be the difference between recovery and financial devastation.

General information about the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) can be found here.

Where can I find information on purchasing flood insurance? 

Why should I purchase flood insurance if: 

Q: I already have a homeowners insurance policy? 

A: Most homeowners insurance does not cover flood damage. Only flood insurance covers the cost of rebuilding after a flood.

Q: My community has never flooded? 

A: Flooding can happen anywhere at any time. Poor drainage systems, summer storms, melting snow, neighborhood construction, and broken water mains can all result in flooding. In high-risk areas, there is at least a one-in-four chance of flooding during a 30-year mortgage.

Q: I live outside of the high-risk flood area? 

A: Even though flood insurance isn’t required for your property, flooding can happen to anyone. In fact, from 2014 to 2018, policyholders outside of high-risk flood areas filed over 40 percent of all NFIP flood insurance claims and required one-third of federal disaster assistance for flooding. 

Q: My home flood damage could be covered by federal disaster assistance? 

A: Federal disaster assistance is only made available when there is a Presidential disaster declaration, and most flood events do not result in a declaration. Disaster assistance typically comes in the form of loans that must be repaid – with interest! Disaster assistance from FEMA and the U.S. Small Business Administration is designed to kick-start recovery, but is not enough restore your home to its pre-disaster condition or to replace your treasured household items. Flood insurance does not have to be paid back, and it is designed to restore your property to its pre-disaster condition. There is no better way to protect the life you’ve built than with NFIP flood insurance.

Q: I'm renting a property? 

A: It’s likely your landlord has flood insurance that covers the building, but not its contents. Affordable, contents-only flood insurance will help you protect the items inside of your unit in the event of a flood.